Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Biopolis today. Was raining quite heavily but good thing there was a pause in the rain while walking into Biopolis. Mistook MOE building for the Biopolis Proteos building.

Greeted by Ron and Xue Li. Went to level 3 for safety briefing. Was told that some people actually drank the alcohol meant for sterilisation and got sent home. Makes me feel smarter already.

Proceeded to the student outreach lab (level 4) where they briefed us a little more. Taught us how to use the pipette. Received lab coats and stored bags in the 'office' behind the lab.

Went to the zebrafish breeding facility (level 8). Were shown how zebrafish mate, how they poke a hole in the egg, how they 'cultivate' shrimps for the zebrafish. Saw a couple of red zebrafish as well as those with spots instead of the usual horizontal stripes. Freaks!

Back to the lab. Placed eggs in petri dish and incubated them at 20C.

Lunch time. Food at Matrix building wasnt that great. The usual food court fare, exorbitant (compared to hawker food) prices, lousy food. Went back to the lab only to realise that we still had 45 more minutes.

Removed the eggs form the incubator. Split them up into 4 petri dishes of 20 eggs each. Added 1%, 2.5%, 3%, and no ethanol to the four dishes at different volumes.

Waited for a vacant microscope since ethanol had the lowest priority as compared to the other chemicals which required you to poke the eggs within a set amount of time or something like that. Spent time chatting on how violent or how video games teach children good values. 'Halo is not violent because you get to shack hand with the Covenant. Just press X and you shack their hand...'.

Time to poke those eggs. My bench partner, Yusu, killed 9/20 eggs for the 1% ethanol. My turn. I killed 5/20 eggs, this time for the 2.5% ethanol. Her turn. Killed only 1/20 eggs. The ones with no ethanol are safe since we dont need to poke holes in them.

Yusu marked the petri dishes, the poor zebrafishs' fates were sealed at the stroke of a marker. The ones with no ethanol got lucky... for now.

Finished at 4.15pm. Earlier than I expected. Had to drag myself down for tuition. Finished homework at the British Council cafe in 15 minutes. Met my arch-enemy, the cafe owner. He probably forgot who I was, but I remember him.

It seemed just like yesterday... OK too cliche. Anyway, I was ordering a can of lemonade and I swear I said it loud and clear. The guy scolded me for being 'too soft' and told me that I was supposed to learn the English Language at the British Council. Probably flared up because of male menopausal mood swings. Just an inference.

Uncle, if you are reading my blog, please dont sue me. I mean no harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment